Wednesday, June 06, 2012

The Holy Spirit ABC (2)


In my previous post we have seen how the Holy Spirit came to replace Jesus here on earth because Jesus went back to the Father in heaven. It was better for the believers that it happened this way. If there is one thing we learn from this event, it is that God is one, yet three. The concept of the Trinity is hard to understand for many people, maybe due to our Western way of thinking. In the Hebrew language however, it is a common principle; the word echad (one) is being used  to describe a unity consisting of different parts.

As human beings we are made in the image and likeness of God, three and yet one. Spirit, soul and body and yet one human being. Think for instance about the following example. We can cry inwardly and feel depressed, but outwardly we can look cool. Soul and body work differently, but they cannot be separated. So it is with God. When Jesus was on earth He only did what He saw the Father doing, they talked with each other often. The Holy Spirit now lives inside the believers, but tells us only what He hears from the Father, they listen to each other. In this way they each do their own work , but they cannot be separated.

In John 14:26 Jesus says: But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. The Holy Spirit has specific functions here on earth. One of these functions is that He will teach us everything. He is our teacher. What good is it to have a teacher that we never talk with, that we never ask questions and that we do not know personally? That wouldn't work in any school or college. It would be difficult to attend  classes with interest and to learn from such a teacher. Communication is the key word, especially with the Holy Spirit who lives in us. If we never talk with Him, we will not get to know Him.

Getting to know Him better is what the Bible calls the 'fellowship with the Holy Spirit'. More about that in the next post. For now I would like to encourage you to ask the teacher some questions. I am sure we all have questions about the Bible, about certain scriptures or stories. Take a cup of coffee, sit down and ask the Holy Spirit (who lives in you if you are a child of God) to give you wisdom and insight. He will do this, He longs to do this. Let me know whether He helped you or not...

11 comments:

  1. Love the comparison you make to our earthly teachers and our heavenly teacher, the Holy Spirit. We have to desire to know the truth, before He's able to guide us into all truth (John 16:13). Communication IS important. Looking forward to your next post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria, desiring to know the truth... that's where it begins indeed.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Maria, desiring to know the truth... that's where it begins indeed.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marja -

    You're doing a wonderful job with this teaching. The Holy Spirit has always comforted/taught/encouraged me through life's adventures.

    Taking time with Him before I jump into my day brings peace and assurance that He'll help me every moment.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for adding your personal experience in this Susan, always valuable!

      Delete
  3. I find that I converse more with Jesus than the Holy Spirit and yet they are one.I never quite sorted out in my mind that Jesus is back in Heaven but the Holy Spirit is in my heart, so Who should I talk to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can talk to God anytime Wynn, and I think most people talk to Jesus when they do that. He is our Savior and our Lord!
      I am just trying to give some practical tools on how to build a relationship with the Holy Spirit, who is our teacher and who will guide and direct us into all truth. When we communicate with Him we will discover that it gets easier to hear from Him too.

      Delete
  4. Good point, Marja! I appreciate your encouragement. It's always timely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marja, it is wonderful to read this & think about it all with my coffee, first thing in the morning. I will do what you suggest, and pursue a closer relationship with the Holy Spirit - I love the way you put things in such a 'down to earth' understandable way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you here Sandra, enjoy your morning coffee :)

      Delete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.