Saturday, May 14, 2011

Kingdom Basics (1)

What is the Kingdom?
My husband and I love to teach about the Kingdom. We have noticed that, although this was one of Jesus’ main topics, there is often a huge lack of knowledge among believers about the Kingdom. Lack of knowledge often leads to confusion about these matters; which raises the following question: how can we proclaim the good news about the Kingdom if we don’t really know what we are talking about? I have decided to dedicate a few posts on Kingdom basics.

One of the main topics of Jesus’ teaching was the Kingdom of heaven, or as it is sometimes called: the Kingdom of God. Jesus uses both terms and sometimes simply refers to it as the Kingdom. His teaching about the Kingdom became more urgent after His resurrection, just before He went back to be with His Father. The Book of Acts reports: He appeared to them [the apostles] over a period of forty days and spoke about the Kingdom of God (Acts 1:3). Forty days? And that after the many different times he spoke with them in parables about the Kingdom? I feel free to conclude that there is a lot to be learned about this. Let's start with a simple question: what is this Kingdom of God, or rather, what is it NOT?
  • It is not a natural kingdom, but a spiritual realm where God’s will prevails. Jesus said, My kingdom is from another place (John 18:36) and Your Kingdom come, your will be done (Matthew 6:10).
  • It is not a matter of our daily natural concerns. For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Romans 14:17).
  • It is not a theory or theology. For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power (1 Corinthians 4:20).

The Kingdom is not a place or a country, it is a spiritual realm where righteousness, peace and joy reign, with power. Although it seems that such a thing doesn't exist on earth, that we are only able to enter this Kingdom when we go to heaven, Jesus teaches otherwise! That is why at some point in my life I started to wonder why then Jesus tells the people on earth to seek the Kingdom first (Matthew 6:33). Why would He send us on a quest for something that cannot be found here?

So, first it is important to know WHAT we are seeking, what we are looking for. According to the scriptures I mentioned earlier, the Kingdom is righteousness, peace and joy with power in the Holy Spirit. Jesus urges us to seek these things first. The logical next question will be: where do we look? Where can we find this Kingdom?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Marja -

    Excellent post. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series. :)

    Blessings,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this post! I look forward to the next installment :-)

    After listening to your audio of Grace of Giving I hear your voice when I read your posts! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Susan for your kind words. I have been wanting to do a series like this for a long time, I am glad you like the first post!

    Lorrie! You know my picture AND my voice now, how funny is that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, Marja. We don't hear much teaching on the kingdom. I wonder why? Perhaps the enemy is afraid we'll find out what we have and who we are in Christ, and defeat him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this approach. Sometimes learning what something is not, as you said, clues us in to what it really is. Thanks for a good post!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanette, that is a good point! I often thought about that too. We cannot be ignorant. Thanks for your comment, I appreciate the input!

    Karen, I see that every now and then in the Bible Karen, by learning what something is not, I have to ask myself what it really is! Thanks for stopping by, I always appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I welcome the chance to learn more about the Kingdom, Marja.
    The older I get the more I realise how scant my knowledge and experience is really, of all things spiritual. Bless you!
    Wyn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that Wyn, to welcome the chance to learn! Blessings to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your visit, it is my hope and prayer that this post was an encouragement to you! Feel free to leave a comment.